Second Annual Vision and Learning Symposium!
On Friday, November 6 and Saturday, November 7, Educating Young Eyes will bring together classroom teachers and other educators, vision specialists, lawmakers, social justice activists, judges, nurses, and doctors for the Second Annual Vision and Learning Symposium at the University of Washington Bothell's Discovery Hall.
Erin Jones, who is a candidate for the office of Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2016, will be the keynote speaker Friday evening to kick off the Symposium. Erin has been director of the AVID program for Tacoma Public Schools, and director of Equity for Federal Way Public Schools, and an electrifying speaker all over Washington.
Kathy Lambert, District 3 Councilwoman on the Metropolitan King County Council, will deliver the keynote on Saturday morning.
On Saturday there will be breakout sessions concerning -- at least --
- how children's vision screening can be done with technology
- how underlying issues of social justice affect children with vision problems
- how little information is available to teachers about children's vision
- how to change Washington law to include near-vision screening
- how to build new partnerships between schools and optometrists
To register (registration opens September 1), go to
Clock hours will be available for educators and others.